View Single Post
Old 02-04-2021, 05:49 AM
LadyAg

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I made my cutting table using 2 bookcases and 5/8" plywood. Don't go for the 1/2" as it will be too weak if and when you lean on it. I found that out the hard way. I also added "L" brackets to keep the plywood from moving on me too. Then added another sheet of plywood about halfway down for another shelf to hold all my scrap and fat qts containers on 1 side and stablizers on the other side. I went for a larger cutting mat that fit the table and believe me it's heavy enough it won't slide on you.

I hung my batting on a shower rod at one end of the table so I can pull it out onto the table and cut the a mount I needed. This has worked great for me plus gets my batting off the floor.

As for rulers, I went to Harbor Freight and picked up some metal rulers and some clamps so when I go to cut the batting I can lay the ruler across and clamp it on both sides.

My table is large enough that I place a smaller sewing machine at one end to stitch my binding onto the finished quilt so I don't have to fight the weight of the quilt as I sew, the quilt can lay on the table as I move along it.

I also hang some of my larger rulers on the ends so they're close to where I'll use them.

Thank you so much for all the information! I had not even thought of using the work table for the batting or tool storage. I am so glad for all the kind responses!