View Single Post
Old 02-07-2021, 08:24 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
.........I used June Tailor spray baste...........
Totally confused here, as earlier (in post #44) you asked if it was the glue baste. From others comments, I think we all thought you were meaning glue baste as in Elmer's glue. I have used a lot of spray baste, mostly 505. I didn't like the June Tailor for all the globs and blobs. Not the even spray of 505. I don't remember it being an issue when FMQing though, but it could have been what I was quilting at the time too. Too long ago now to remember.

You mentioned about the thread shredding, and the circular type motions you are doing. It could be you need to get the needle speed and your hand/quilt movement better in sync. Consider this ... for normal straight line stitching, the normal flow of the thread is down through the needle and then think of the normal progression/direction of the stitches along the fabric. Then when we FMQ, we are changing that pattern. Too much going against the normal path through the needle, can cause the shredding. That's where it's particularly important to get the needle speed and hand/quilt movement in sync.

Another thing ... you might want to clean your needle ... sometimes residue from the glue builds up on it. I keep some alcohol swabs in my sewing supplies for that. From what you have said, I don't think that alone will resolve your problem, but it will help the needle slide in and out much easier, preventing resistance.

Is this clear as mud?

Last edited by QuiltE; 02-07-2021 at 08:30 AM.