View Single Post
Old 02-07-2021, 09:18 AM
Mitch

Dear QuiltE and Lady Diana, I know about ballpoints being for knits but someone with more experience suggested it and I tried it. I have switched to Schmetz topstitch, as per suggested and tried 80/12 and 90/14 for the 40 weight thread. If anybody wants me to try standing on my head and spitting nickels I will absolutely give it a go because nothing is working and I have a lot to learn. I do warm up and test on a muslin sandwich before I stitch on the quilt and I don't have the problems I have on the quilt. BUT, it's not pieced or spray-basted. I will place an order for the 505 for my next quilt, (IF THERE IS ONE!!! Hah! Joke!). I do think I need to move more slowly for the circular shapes. Mind you, I have FMQed the exact same shapes on a spray- basted baby quilt with no problems. On the current project, I straight-stitched with a walking foot with no problems other than wobbly lines over the bulky seams and I do clean the needle periodically. Other checkpoints are a go: the bobbin thread up, feed dogs down. I can't thank you enough for your feedback! I'm learning so much and I'm amazed by your generosity! Here I go- fingers crossed.