Old 02-14-2021, 05:29 PM
costumegirl

Default Help! Batik Still Bleeding After Multiple Treatments

I have numerous batiks that I want to use in a pattern that uses pale white and pale gray for background

I have treated multiple cuts of batik for bleeding and am still having bleed problems with at least 7 yardage cuts. This is what I have done so far:
I first treated the batiks in color groups with Retayne in my large sink. Then I took each of the individual pieces and did 2 separate rinses in a large white basin to see if there was any residue color still bleeding into the water. I did find quite a few that still bled so I treated each separately again for a second time with Retayne letting them soak for at least an hour & 30 min. Rinsed twice again - a few were still showing bleeding in the water.
I next hand washed each piece separately using Synthropol to remove excess dye that was bleeding off. I then repeated the 2 separate rinses and it appeared that the bleeding had stopped in most except for 7 pieces - I treated separately again 3rd time with Retayne and 2 rinses.
I then put 3 of the pieces of the same color family in the washing machine with a color catcher - used warm water wash & cold rinse - The color catcher came out pale blue so there seems to still be bleeding going on.

Since the background of the pattern is white and gray I am very concerned about any future bleeding when the pattern/quilt is completed.
Any suggestions on how I should continue with treatment? Do I treat a 4th time with Retayne? and then repeat with Synthropol? and then wash with color catcher?
I am worried because 3 of these bleeding pieces are blue and the other 4 are pink and red tones.