View Single Post
Old 02-14-2021, 06:03 PM
LifeLovePassion

Default Trying new things

This weekend, I finished binding a lap quilt that I has been working on...this one gave me a run for my money. The top went together without issues. It wasn't until I started working with my minky I selected for the back that the issues cropped up. In spite of my best efforts and using my walking foot, the minky I purchased would not cooperate at all. I ended up trying big stitch hand quilting...I LOVE it, It was such a fun thing to pick up each evening and work on.

I also tried glue basting...I ended up rolling glue on the batting after watching a YouTube video. It worked so well.

Finally, the binding. I had to sew it on blind. Meaning since the minky side down would not feed in my machine, I sewed the binding to the front of the quilt, but put that side down. I clipped it every 3 inches and it worked. I would just stop shy of the edge by 1/4 inch and take it out from under the needle and make my corner, clip it well and begin again. Then it was the finishing stitching. I ended up having to sew it by hand, but that went well. Also, I had to make the back wider than normal, because I didn't catch it in time that my backing had shifted and one corner had a triangle 3/4 inch by 4 inches that did not have a backing. I made my binding cover that gap.

All that to say...I washed it and dried it and can't wait to make another one.