Old 02-16-2021, 01:59 PM
costumegirl

Yeah!! Success!! Thank you so much for the methods on treating and the tips for soaking and rinsing!!

I tried a new batch of fabric using hotter water and I'm sure that helped a lot! I heated big bowls in the microwave and added to the hot tap water with Retayne - yes there was bleeding. Soaked and stirred periodically for about 4 hours - then next l took individual cuts & did a first rinse with warm water.

I wanted to be able to identify which cut might be a bleeder so I cut a color catcher sheet into small 1.5" x 2" rectangular pieces. & added these to the next rinse - yes a few were still shedding dye.
I set up a bit of an assembly line after soaking & treating and that first warm rinse - I next hand washed the individual cuts in my sink - it had warm water with the "clear/colorless" Dawn detergent - next rinsed in a large enamel pot with warm water and a color catcher piece - and last did a cold water rinse with another piece of color catcher in a big aluminum baking bowl. Yeah!!!!! There were very very few that still had dye so basically no more bleeding!! For those that still had some bleeding I just retreated for a shorter time period. and went through the rinsing process.

LOL With my assembly line working so well and being easier and quicker than before I'm kind of on a roll and treating a lot more pieces than what I will need for this project. Since I had it set up I thought I might as well get a bunch done!

This has been a good learning experience! Thanks again for all of the great info and help! I truly appreciate it!

Last edited by costumegirl; 02-16-2021 at 02:03 PM.