View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 08:48 AM
tropit

I don't know if you all are interested in this topic anymore, but I thought that I would update you on how the new, Consew machine is working out. I have not tried it on leather yet. I'm still waiting for my specialty pressure feet to arrive. I am doing some quilting on it though, using a spool of CT cotton thread. This thread is really too light for it and I'm waiting for some Aurifil #40 to arrive. Until then, I'm practicing while I wait.

The big table and wide throat on the machine are wonderful! It also sews super fast! All of these features are great for straight line quilting. I'm working on a Queen size quilt right now and it so much easier using this machine. I'm thinking of building on an extension for the table, so that the quilt doesn't catch on the corner of the current table.

This new Consew does not have a clutch, nor does it have an oil pan. It's very easy to use and maintain. I do miss having simple, thumbscrews to tighten and loosen things. You have to have a couple of screwdrivers handy whenever you need to change anything like presser feet, or bobbin winding. It's not the end of the world, just a minor inconvenience. This machine does not have a built-in light. It did come with an inexpensive, separate, magnetic, task light, but I think that the company could have done better than that. I ordered a rope light that adheres to the throat and it's coming soon.

I am having some issues with the tension. I just can't get it exactly right. The instructions are terrible for this machine, so I've been watching YouTube videos, trying to find out what is causing my tension problem. I've watched 3 videos on how to "properly" thread this machine and each one showed a different way. The manual shows a 4th way...sigh. I'm sure that I'll get it figured out sooner, or later. I'm hoping that the heavier weight thread will be the answer to my problems.

I've found that the best place to find extra accessories, needles, thread, etc is Ebay. There's not much on the Consew site and the other sewing machine vendors always seem to be out of whatever I need. Plus, these same vendors also sell on Ebay, where they magically seem have the items in stock. I'm still scratching my head...LOL. The accessories are very inexpensive, considering that they are for a heavy duty, industrial machine. For example, you can get a specialized, welting, walking foot for under $10. If that were a vintage, domestic, Singer, it would cost much more.

At least the low cost accessories help to off-set the high price of the machine...a little. This machine was very expensive for my modest pocket book. I paid about $1400, including shipping. However, these machines have been steadily going up in price, so I went ahead and bought now. I plan to make things for the Etsy market, as well as do my own upholstery projects to pay for the machine.

If this sewing machine were compared to a car, it would not be a Porche, or a Tesla. It's more like a Land Cruiser. It is build to last, and it will sew through anything at a pretty fast clip.