View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 05:12 PM
Lalla

I’ve got a 1930s Singer that belonged to my mother, and a 1905 chain stitch machine that belonged to my ex-mother-in-law’s mother who had it in Burma!! I don’t think any such machine exists now, does it? It’s a funny little round thing, like a sort of wheel. It only does chain stitch. My ex-mother-in-law’s sister, aged in her early twenties, made on it a dress for herself to go to a ball. She walked out onto a sort of gallery overlooking the ballroom, where guests were formally announced, caught a hem on something and unravelled the whole thing, and stood there in her underwear, threw out her arms and said “Well, here I am!!!”
I now own a relatively ancient Juki TL98P and am about to take the plunge and acquire either the 2010Q or the 2200QVP Mini, but here in Hong Kong the finding of a UK machine - HK has the same voltage/plug system as the UK but the machines come from either the US or Japan, and I don’t think transformers are the way to go - is problematic. I’m desperate for the speed control addition to my old warhorse! I too love non-computerised machines, and do a lot of free motion ‘drawing’, so would never go for anything other than an upgrade to my beloved Juki.