Thread: Starching Again
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 08:03 AM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by Susan54 View Post
... However, I wring out the excess starch before drying and this makes the fabric very wrinkled - so much so that I can’t iron it out.

is there a better way? TY
Welcome, Susan.

My first thought was like what Snooze2978 is doing with an old wringer washer, but it will have some wrinkles, too. Are you drying it over a rod/drying rack, clothesline or dryer? I have heard that even with a dryer one should shake out the clothes before putting them in.

I think that it would help to iron while it is slightly damp, before it has dried completely. When I was a kid, we would sprinkle the dried clothes with water and roll them up and put in a plastic bag overnight (do not leave any longer as they will get nasty). That would make them uniformly damp and easier to iron the next day. Have you used steam while ironing? I know that many have said that they never put water in their steam irons as the irons eventually have a tendency to spit. The suggestion then was to spray water with a fine mister. I have a mister that I got from a beauty supply store that has a really fine spray. I use that instead of steam and seems to work quite well.

Hopefully you will find a solution that will work for you.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 02-20-2021 at 08:05 AM.