View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 05:03 PM
Loveofquilts

Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
So I am assuming that since you fold each crumb over it must be at least over 1/2 "? That I could do.
I have seen them where they put them on fusible background and are ironed and then quilted down. That is too small for me!
Yes ma'am. I usually don't keep our sew anything under an inch wide or long. Right sides together, sew, press one back, and sew that one to another one that fits those 2. Then keep the process going until you get it to whatever size you want. Then cut your square. You could sew a bunch of tiny ones to a skinny strip and then cut apart. You can even use larger scraps and cut them down to look like you started with crumbs. Remember, there are no rules. It will get a bit thick in the back with so many seams. I haven't had problems sewing over them. You may even sew over a tiny piece and it disappears. It's all part of the process. I watched Darlene Michaud on YouTube. She has a whole crumb quilt playlist. She's pretty funny too...

I just saw what you are talking about last night on YouTube. They use decorative stitches or invisible thread to to topstitch them down to the fusible. I'm not too wild about that way either... She used the background she made to make a tiny art quilt with a ballerina appliqued on it. It was cute, but my brain doesn't work that way yet. Lol!