Thread: Hi from NYC
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 07:26 AM
[email protected]

Default Hi from NYC

Hi all. I’m Zoann. My husband and I moved to the Lower East Side of Manhattan a few years ago after living for many years in Madison, WI. I’m a Kansas girl by birth but I think I was born to be a city girl. The very best times I’ve had here were having my mom for two extended stays and taking her to the great museums and the ballet, and seeing that she, too, despite being an Iowa farm girl by birth and having lived over half a century in a small Kansas town, is also a city girl at heart, so perhaps I inherited it.

i have sewn all my life, and I pieced a couple quilts when I was in college back in the early 80s and my grandma quilted them for me. For most of my sewing life I made clothes. My heyday was during my daughter’s childhood when I made her (and her friends) lots and lots of cotton dresses. A few years ago I decided I had better actually use all the scraps I’d been hoarding, and I started quilting.

I have had a few machines throughout the years but I have not loved any of them. I had my Viking Lily for the longest. I sold it before moving here, and now have a Juki HZL-DX7, which I thought would be better for quilting but is smaller than I’d like. It also is on the fritz now and m exploring getting a new machine with more throat space.

Since I don’t have a car, I’ll probably buy online. Aside from Gotham Quilts who sell Berninas (out of my budget range) I’m not sure there are any local dealers accessible by public transit.

Last edited by [email protected]; 03-03-2021 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Fix typo