Thread: The Vandervoort
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2021, 07:07 AM
JoeJr

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
Nice clean machine! I wish I knew how to do all the wiring stuff.

Too bad about the needle system. Have you already checked into whether there's a "cheat" for them, to get the 15X1s to work? I know there aren't many that are workable, but maybe you'll luck out with this one?

Have fun!
The first time I took apart a motor that wouldn't move, I'll admit to quite a bit of trepidation, but I thought, "What do I have to lose?" Although I don't really understand how a motor works, in terms of the number of parts they are relatively simple. As to the wiring, I have not had a motor where the wire itself was ruined, but just the rubber/plastic casing on the wiring, then it's just a matter of recovering the wiring and splicing in what you need to put on a plug or get to a junction with a foot control and power. I use sandpaper and CRC QD electronics cleaner to clean them up inside, and petroleum jelly and wool felt to replace grease wicks for lubrication. There are videos and posts on this, and here's a fairly recent post here about motor work with a link to a great blog on working on the wiring:

Singer BY6-7 Motor Help on 66-18

Regarding trying a 15x1 needle, I think I would have to either grind down the shaft, as the 15x1 is noticeably longer then the CC1221, or remove the needle stop and mount the 15x1 up farther into the needle bar which would assume a long enough needle groove in the bar to accommodate this, but I didn't look to see; I should investigate this further.