Old 03-13-2021, 12:37 PM
CaleyH

Default Maybe This Will Help for Free Motion Quilting

I've looked around on the internet for things to help me move the quilt sandwich around easier, but the cost is out of our world. I've got better things to spend my money on than plastic.

So I brain stormed and came up with a solution. Cut out from hardwood, or if you don't have that, some nice Pine wood, something about 3/4 inch thick and the size that will fit your hands comfortably. Make two of these wood shapes, and sand down all the rough edges

Go to your local hardware store, or just buy online wherever you can find 1/8 inch thick sheet cork.

Glue the cork to your wood, and let it cure. Then just cut away the excess cork, and then bevel the edges slightly.

Now you have two hand paddles you put atop your quilt sandwich, and move it around without having to use a lot of force. It's especially nice for people like myself who have arthritis, and gripping things for long periods can hurt. All you need are your palms to move things around.

I'm not posting a picture, as I believe anyone who makes these will make them to suit themselves. My trial pair were just pieces of hardwood measuring 3/4 x 2 x4 inches. Oh yes, I used Gorilla glue to tick things together. Maybe you can carve the tops, or wood burn a pattern to decorate yours.

Hope this will help someone.