View Single Post
Old 03-13-2021, 04:11 PM
sewingpup

Originally Posted by Sewingmommy View Post
I am seriously considering trading in my Bernina 730e for either a Bernina 880 plus or a 790 plus. My main workhorse has been my Bernina 1130 which I’ll keep. I sew all my and my daughter’s clothes, mend, some crafts, some embroidery, some quilting. I would like to get into more quilting, as my mother was an avid hand quilter and won many awards. Now that my children are starting to sew their own clothes, I want to start quilting more. I haven’t made a quilt larger than crib size on my machine. I would like to machine quilt up to king size. I want to know if anyone has either of these two machines and if they feel it’s worth trading up. I figure this would be the last time I trade up, so I want to make sure I get the right machine if I purchase one. Please give any advice, warnings, or suggestions you might have. Thank you all.
about a year or so ago, I bought a new Bernina 570 hoping it would be last machine....well, it has been in the shop ;three times, I am taking it in again next week. When it sews, it sews good....but out of the blue....it will jam and create quite the bird's next in the bobbin area. I got it back from the shop in April 2020 after the third trip. I had already put my 25 year old Viking in the cabinet....so I just kept sewing on the D1 and then when I was almost done with Bonnie's mystery quilt last week. My screen finally froze up....so I put the Bernina and tried it. well, it created a very small bird's next, then I cleared that, then it created a bigger bird's nest, I cleared that. I checked the Bernina site and downloaded and installed the latest firmware which was supposed to fix a few bugs....started stitching. put on almost a border on all four sides of a large quilt...then bammm....it bird nested again...cleared it out....stitched about 10 inches....repeated one more time...then was able to stitch the last border on without a problems. This jamming seems to just happen out of the blue. I can't figure it out. So I have taken pictures and written everything down. Hopefully it will get fixed. I have tried to do some research on what problems folks are having with these new Bernina's but can't find much info. I would certainly hang on to your old Bernina if you do decide to get a new one. I traded my old one in. they only gave me a 500 dollar credit for it and it was very dependable...just getting old.