View Single Post
Old 03-13-2021, 08:49 PM
oksewglad
Power Poster

I hope this thread sparks an interesting line of discussion...thanks for starting it. Very thought provoking!

I'm thinking as I write so bear with me. I have been sewing for almost 60 years and started my first quilt about 8 years later as a high schooler. It was simple squares of a solid purple and, get this, brown and purple mushrooms. It didn't hold my interest and years later when it came back to me it still didn't hold my interest and I gave it away unfinished. No I don't wish it back. That long ago, quilts were generally made for one reason; to cover a bed and/or keep someone warm. And quilts followed a traditional layout format. The quilts I made did just that. I was also under the influence of Gees Bend type quilter as my mother used every piece of leftover fabric to make utilitarian quilts; quilts to keep us warm with a worn blanket as batting.
It wasn't until I began quilting more in the 90"s when I had more time, did I think about color and design. My basic sewing techniques gradually improved whether it was in garments or quilts. I've never thought of myself as an artist as I don't draw, but the more I explored with color the more I became an artist. We use our artistic talents differently as we come into the art of quilting from differing perspectives, capabilities, and experiences. I love working with color and have been self taught in it's usage and then some days I throw it out the window and go by my instincts! We find techniques that we enjoy. I've tried many and let many go. I am at the stage of life that I want to narrow my "new" techniques; i.e., I have no desire to own an embroidery machine. I don't enjoy making folded flowers...I'd rather work on my miniatures and tiny quilts. I'm enjoying doing a little improv sewing utilizing the lessons I have learned along the way. It seems I'm always thinking of what quilt I want to do next (or which UFO I should finish) and answer Peckish's question, "what if, I...?"

Re: art quilts/quality workmanship I have some talented artists in my family, my daughter is very good at replicating items, but my son was so much more creative with his stick drawn characters of battle scenes etc. It was like a Bayeux Tapestry of pencil drawings from his own imagination strewn around his room. It is a gift he handed down to his 10 yo son who has the drawing talents of his auntie. Because I lack these talents I appreciate them in any genre. I see the creativity before I see the technique whether well done or "poorly" done, knowing I would have trouble coming up with the idea. I am less concerned about having everything perfect as oftentimes the imperfections gives humanity to the art. Could the person who made the insensitive remark come up with an original idea?

We are fortunate to be able to express ourselves at whatever level we are capable of and derive satisfaction from that expression. I sincerely hope you can again find yourself in your art.