View Single Post
Old 03-13-2021, 10:08 PM
Jo Belmont

Any technique you learn is simply, always and ever, a tool. Personally, I follow the rules in learning the technique and perhaps in its next one or two applications in something I'm doing. I then feel it's in my knowledge coffers and when I drift from a prescribed pattern (which to me is great fun), I visit my treasure chest of things I've learned.

In that process, I have never felt stymied or that my creativity took a blow. Instead, I'm acquiring the knowledge to use that skill as I choose.

One's creativity is a gift. Protect it and use it for your personal pleasure and that of others.

For instance, I for one, do not particularly care for modern design quilts, preferring vintage looking creations. But have I ever done a modern quilt? Oh, yes indeed! For me, they're fast and they're very clean designs. The recipients usually are pleased beyond what I understand, but that's what it's all about isn't it?

And i'm sure you already know you can't please everyone. I suspect very like the person who said “I do find that so-called artists usually have such poor technique” - Jeez! I think your response to her was very considerate. I'm not sure I would have been so kind. It's frustrating that some people always assume a position above others. That is to say, if they can't find a box to stand on, they'll dig a hole for the other to stand in.

Protect your creativity. It's God-given. Appreciate that of others. Celebrate with them and borrow some of their techniques from time to time. There's only one you.

Therein is the beauty.