View Single Post
Old 03-14-2021, 01:43 PM
DottyD

Default Harriet's Journey BOM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Happy Mother's Day, Dotty!

WMUTeach, it was lovely reading about your shopping trip. Those are beautiful fabrics!

toverly, your blocks look great! I agree that a coloring page would be very useful.

For those who have done samplers before, how do you end up with such a balanced look (thinking of Dotty's prize-winning sampler) if you have not planned out the entire quilt first? Do you end up deciding on your final placement of blocks based on the colors you used in each block, or do you choose your colors for each block based on the final placement of the blocks?

My machine is in for servicing with a 2 1/2 week estimate, so I will have to content myself with pressing and cutting and swooning over other people's blocks for the time being. I did receive my book yesterday, and watched a youtube on foundation paper piecing, which I have never done.
I tried to make sure, as I gradually made more blocks, that I didn't use exactly the same colour palate next to one another - laying the ones I hade made in the appropriate spaces. One tutor I once had - said if you wanted to check your blocks and colour layout, take a photo from above and then see if you are happy. I was a bit sceptical about it - but it worked !

Whilst I was waiting for the start of the BOM I traced a lot of the foundation templates onto quilting paper - save a bit of time later.

Hope that might have helped.