Old 03-20-2021, 04:17 AM
mcadwell

Default Not a quilt but...'The Hunt For Victorian Sewing Tools', episode 1 & 2

This is not a quilt but I plan on using it for quilting so I'm posting about it.

I recently purchased a 1904 Singer 27-4 treadle machine, with cabinet, and have been practicing on it. However, I've discovered I disliked sitting down at it only to have to jump up to go to my regular sewing table to get this or that tool (and then puttng said tools back when done. I can be such a child at times.)

And, to be honest, some of my modern tools just didn't look right sitting there on the cabinet. (I'm talking to you Purple Thang and plastic, yellow handled, battery operated, lighted seam ripper!)

Hence, the start of (cue theme song) 'The Hunt For Victorian Sewing Tools'.

I perused the internet cabinet of historical things and discovered authentic Victorian tools are just a tad / skosh / smidgen / little bit (ok, a lot) unaffordable for me. So, I'll have to use the ole noggin to source out affordable / doable ones.

Episode 1: The leather belt I ordered for the Singer came with an antique style thread cutter and awl. These items are taken care of.
Episode 2: I made a Victorian style pincushion. This item is taken care of.

This pincushion started out with the idea of making a reallllly large spool of thread as a decor item. I'd use yarn as the thread - if that gives you any idea the size of it. Then it morphed.

I put my late great-grandmother's pins, hat pins and rusty ones too that I inherited and didn't know what to do with, into the pincushion as decoration. The base will be used to wrap bias tape around. And there's storage inside of it. This makes it a 4-in-1 item: Decorative, pincushion, storage, bias tape wrap. Gotta like it.

Don't know when episode 3 will come around. But it will be at the same Bat Time and same Bat Station.(Erm, I think I just dated myself.)
Attached Thumbnails victorian-pincushion-2-.jpg   victorian-pincushion2-3-.jpg