Old 03-20-2021, 02:09 PM
mcadwell

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Tell us more on how you made your super sized spool...TIA

I got the idea from here, but this one was larger than what I needed: http://www.sewcando.com/2018/09/diy-...r-perfect.html

I found the two wooden plaques on Amazon.
I just happened to have everything else:
Sturdy cardboard tube that fit the smaller sides of the wooden plaques
Tacky Glue
Cardboard
Cotton batting
Cotton fabric
Leftover trim
Paint

1. Painted the wooden plaques with acrylic paint. When dry I coated it with 2 coats of quick dry polyurethane spray and sanded off any polyurethane that would be where I needed to use glue.

2. Glued the swirly fabric around the tube, tucking and gluing it inside the top and bottom of the tube and tucking in the raw edge on the outside of the tube to hide any fraying.

3. Sewed the cream fabric into a tube with a circular bottom to make a 'cup'. Folded over the open end to hide any fraying and glued it inside the top of the cardboard tube, making sure it was down far enough the 'lid stabilizer' wouldn't interact with it and possibly pull it away from the glue.

4. Glued the fabric covered tube onto the smaller side of one of the wooden plaques.

5. Sewed the pin cushion and stuffed it with a dryer ball that was cut in half (I read somewhere the lanolin in the wool helps keep pins sharp and I was trying to figure out a way of reusing old dryer balls). Added shredded batting bits and pieces to fill it out better. Sewed the opening closed and glued this onto the large side of the remaining wooden plaque.

6. Glued trim around the edge of the pincushion.

7. Cut out 3 matching circles of cardboard, stacked them and glued them together. I made sure they fit inside the cardboard tube a little loosely.

8. Wrapped batting around the cardboard circles gluing only on the backside. When the glue was dry I cut off any folds of batting to make the backside flatter.

9. Wrapped cream fabric around the cardboard circles/batting. When the glue was dry I cut off the fabric folds on the backside to make it flatter. This is now the lid stabilizer. The batting and fabric makes it fit snuggly inside the cardboard tube but it isn't so tight it can make it come unglued.

10. Glued the lid stabilizer to the smaller side of the wooden plaque that has the pincushion.

And it's done

Hopefully I described it in a way that makes sense. (If I would've known someone was going to ask I would have taken pictures.)

Last edited by mcadwell; 03-20-2021 at 02:13 PM.