View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 04:14 AM
Railroadersbrat

Question Hand Quilters - I Need Advice

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to hand quilt my sister's Double Wedding Ring. Thankfully with the American Rescue Plan passed, we're just waiting on our payment so I can get her batting and backing and I can get it started, but I've been doing some research and now I have some questions.

I'm doing the metal to metal technique but my questions are about the thread. Everything I've seen so far, suggests using a 28 weight thread for hand quilting, which I have no problem with. I was originally going to machine quilt and bought the thread for it. I can use that thread for another project at a later date if I have to, but I was wondering how much of a difference using a 28 weight thread versus something like a 40 weight would be? I know a lot has to do with strength, so therefore the durability of the stitching, but is it also the look and feel of the stitching, as well?

I really want to do this right, so like I said, if I have to use 28 weight, I'll just have to maneuver some things around a bit. I'm just curious about your thoughts and what you normally would use for hand quilting.