Thread: I’m new here!
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2021, 08:04 PM
Lalla

Originally Posted by oksewglad
Oh to have cheered you on, Lalla, even though our techniques are different it is a great complement. Thank you. Your comment prompted me to go back and look at my albums, which I haven't updated in quite a while. It is always good to have pictures of earlier works. Why? Because one sees how much one has grown and improved. Most were completed almost ten years ago! I used to try to use colors/fabric styles that were the rage at the time, but grew tired of constantly needing to "upgrade". Now I mix and match to my heart's content! It is interesting to note that among my small group of quilting peers, they can usually identify what I have made before they actually know.
You are so right about keeping pictures of earlier works; it’s nice to know one has grown and improved. And sometimes it’s nice to go back to a less ‘complicated’ era and throw off some of the striven-for perfection in favour of a more naive approach? Like listening to early Beatles songs and their simple, clear orchestration compared to later, more elaborate, longer, less...I was going to say ‘childlike’, but not exactly that, more un-influenced? There’s a lot to be said for simplicity!