View Single Post
Old 03-31-2021, 11:22 AM
Dave411G

Thank you for the help advice and downloads so far everyone..........

Good news;
Removed a huge amount of lint from the hook area.
Have judiciously oiled and greased in all the right places, (Managed to find a shop selling oil and grease from the back door, as not officially open for a few weeks yet). Nothing seized up, drops a stitch occasionally but possibly due to very old cotton thread or the calico.

Most pleased with "Ourworkbench and Hooligans" downloads, regarding stitches...seems I wasn't using width and length properly (at all really I left them at W5 , L4 respectively)....but i was pretty right-on with the dials (just wasn't enough on their own really), thanks.

Next dilemma,
Bought some feet from ebay.....Saw a straight stitch throat place and hoped I'd hit the jackpot.....in reality a mixed bag and only one hemmer foot kinda works, but too long in the shank really.

I have measured from Throat plate to centre of eye, and it seems to be: 7/8" Low slant shank.

Have spent a few hours scouring internet and not really getting anywhere useful, trying to decipher sometimes contradictory ebay and shop ads.

Does anyone know if there Is a list of Singer/Simanco numbers that will lead me to buying the correct; Hemmer, Bias binder, Adjustable hemmer, Edger, Straight stitch, oh and the Chain stitch !

I'm interested in the usual hemming for wife's jeans and trousers, hemming curtains and making tool rolls for my chisels, carving gouges and Auger bits. Once all that's out of the way and I'm more experienced, I'd like to tackle some upholstery, for a chair I'd like to pimp-up to resemble a Eames Chair. In the meantime i think i'd like to decorate my boring beige cotton workshop apron.

Elisabeth; I do have "owners manual 411" and "401A" from singers website. I also have bought the " 42 pages of Service manual for 401A". If the offer of the 401G manual is still being proffered then I'd like to accept if you think the "G" might contain something the A doesn't?

Regards,
Dave
Attached Thumbnails singer-parts.jpg