Old 04-04-2021, 12:53 PM
Iceblossom

Happy Easter for those celebrating. The hubby had to work a bit in the morning but we ran in after his shift and got this picture of my Grassy Creek project.

I've renamed it "Silver Linings" and the narrow inner border is a lightly metallic silver gray I bought to represent Seattle January skies. While there are some lightly metallic fabrics in the bed of the quilt, in the border I brought in some very silver/heavily silvered prints. I really liked Bonnie's border overall, to emphasis the mirror image/V shapes I used a consistent fabric near the middle of each diagonal.While it is not my favorite project and last year was not my favorite year, I'm already feeling fonder towards it now that I'm done. I'm happy with the workmanship, I'm ok with my fabric selections. Glad we didn't waste a ton of fabric and effort like last year. It's just something I would never have chosen to do had I seen the outcome first. But part of the point of these mysteries for me is to do something I don't ordinarily do. Have to admit, I had a pretty good idea ahead of time just by knowing Bonnie's style and the color selections and certainly I saw the reveal before I was done with the piecing or even started the sashing.

I based my colors on the picture from my front door. My sense of green is much darker than Bonnie's. We don't have much of the scarlet fall maples, more the darker ones that are red all year 'round. If you look closely though you will see a red car and even some orange pumpkins in my neighbor's yard. My reds tended towards wine and featured black. Her yellow to gold started out as butterscotch for me and some of them probably would have been happy as orange in Bonnie's quilt. She used an orange/pumpkin color which I knew I didn't have enough of in stash so I used rust-to-brown instead (rust, it's another Seattle/rain thing). I was concerned from the beginning that my Red and Rust were too close, but like so many other things, it isn't one of my concerns now and feel the values work well together more as one unit than two.

But the other day as the blocks were done and the hubby and I were driving towards Issaquah the back way (a rural twisty 2-lane instead of multi-lane 405 to I-90), with the weather (rain of course) and colors outside it was exactly my quilt, especially with the photinia starting to put out fresh red leaves before they turn green. I always knew this project would be fall/winter in Seattle and I've captured that. As I've worked through the project and my inner winter of discontent, Spring has come along with daffodils here and there and they are in the quilt too (lol mostly the "Bonnie" colors I put in, but there you go).

Each of my quilts have a song -- this is a rain song and not a silver song but it is the song for this project

Aaron Neville/Beautiful Night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWnrJun1eLY
Lyrics/apple play link:https://genius.com/Aaron-neville-beautiful-night-lyrics

Attached Thumbnails silver-linings.jpg   100_5920.jpg