View Single Post
Old 04-06-2021, 06:12 AM
peaceandjoy

The only one that I would absolutely avoid is Kona. I have, in the past, purchased Kona white @ the big box store. Many believe that the Kona sold @ those stores is different than Kona sold in quilt shops - but Robert Kaufman, the manufacturer, says it is all the same.

I would also NOT choose Painter's Palette by Paintbrush Studios, as it felt heavier than most quilting fabric. Unless I was making a quilt out of all solids and could use only PP fabrics, which would be difficult as they do not currently carry many colors.

If you use a lot of solids, investing in a color swatch card may be worth it. Color is hard to read on a computer monitor. Alternatively, if you have a current line that you are trying to match, you can check on Fat Quarter Shop's website to see if they carry it. If they do, they will often list solids that coordinate well.

Also - note that even the Kona, when torn to get a straight edge, did not fray nearly as much as it does when cutting from lengths that are straightened in the more traditional way (sliding selvage to selvage until it hangs straight). I know that many quilters refuse to accept tearing, but it really is the best way to get a true straight of grain, as opposed to simply a straight edge.

Art Gallery Pure feels wonderful, and even after removing the selvage, has one of the widest widths. I am using it in a quilt I am currently working on.