View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 09:37 AM
thepolyparrot

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
I have a question. I know it would depend on the quilt pattern you use but what do you think the minimum amount to max amount of FQ’s for a Baby quilt? A twin size? I don’t have any FQ patterns so am curious as I just bought some reduced FQ’s yesterday.
A crib size would need a minimum of 1½-2 yards, I would think. I like fairly large crib quilts that will become a toddler's "drag around" quilt, so I might be overestimating.

For figuring out the minimum for other sizes, look at the amount of backing fabric required and add 10-20% to allow for piecing, depending on how large/small the pattern pieces are.

The maximum FQs needed is up to you - I made a 30's repro flying geese crib quilt and used 18 different FQs. I could have made them all different, which would have required 70 different FQs. (I was using Eleanor Burns' method to make the flying geese and each pair of fabrics makes four identical blocks.)

I think I used at least 60-70 FQs in the star quilt - probably more, but I won't try to count them.

I really love the scrappy look, and I actually used very little of most of the medium & dark FQs - more of the FQs from the lighter ones. But, you could use a controlled color scheme and use far fewer colors - just using a single background color would eliminate about 20-30 FQs. Use the same color for the star points and eliminate 10-15 FQs.

Attached Thumbnails 30sflyinggeesecrib.jpg   civil-war-9-patch-star-small.png