View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 07:33 AM
Still Sew N

Wheels on the cutting table and on my ironing station. This has been such a great idea. My husband created such a great space for me to sew in. It was a bedroom (15' x 22') with some interesting aspects but we worked around it. Getting to my point here - my husband built a cutting table 78" x 33.5" - very sturdy and he put sturdy wheels on this cutting counter. The ironing station is 26" x 51.5" and it also has wheels. Both cabinets have drawers and shelves and cubbies and both are 36" tall. I really questioned the need for wheels but that feature has come in so very handy. I have wheeled them together and I have wheeled them out of the way. I even wheeled the ironing station out of the room when I needed more space! It's just odd how many times having wheels on those items have come in very handy. Another unusual aspect of this room was that it was L shaped. We ended up putting in counter tops in on both sides of this "L". The counter tops are 98" x 25.5". This is where my machines sit and I'm able to place 2 sergers and a sewing machine on one side, while a larger sewing machine, a smaller sewing machine and my embroidery machine take up the opposing countertop. I have a chair "on wheels" in the middle of these countertops and can easily go from one machine to another. In another area of the room, I thought I'd like wall to ceiling storage but my husband suggested a break with a countertop. This is the best idea. This unit is located behind the cutting table and I have a nice long area where I can place cut fabric, instructions, you get the idea - but it isn't taking up any space on my cutting table. One more great idea he did - he added a breadboard to my ironing station for my iron to sit on - so the entire ironing surface is just that! It also has shelves for added storage. I really thought this room was huge and I couldn't possibly outgrow it. With that being said, another suggestion would be to go as big as you possibly can! I wish I could upload photos. I'd love to share pics but I just get frustrated with the process and give up . Hope this helps!