Old 04-13-2021, 03:19 PM
CaleyH

Another post to let those with BL Jazz and Jazz 2 know a bit about the problems I had, and what I suggest you do.

I took my Jazz 2 down to Cherry Berry Quilts in Calimesa, California. They have a cert5ificed BL repair shop. The repair person also knows about free motion quilting.

Today I got a call that they needed the foot controller in order to effect the repairs. So I drove down and delivered the pedal. They said to wait about 45 minutes for the machine to be repaired. Almost to the minute, the machine came out, ready to take home.

What I found out was that my machine, and probably a lot of the Jazz machines are not properly set when it comes to tensioning. I was told that mine was so far out on the tension it could never do free motion quilting.. They put the machine through some tests with a sandwich, and the stitches top and back are perfect. Also, the feed dogs do not have to be up. All this talk about having to have the feed dogs up for FMQing on the Jazz is incorrect according to the technician. What it all boiled down to was the tension within the machine had to be properly set. Apparently this machine is not built where most of the BL machines are, but is built in Taiwan, which apparently has problems with quality control checkouts.

Another item of interest is that this machine, when you want to raise or lower the feed dogs, you must have the needle in the full down position before sliding that switch. Having the needle down apparently puts the internal parts in the proper position, taking the strain off of that manual switch. Apparently, when I moved that stitch last, I made something come apart (not break), so that the feed dogs would not work properly.

So, my Jazz 2 is back, and hopefully I can now get back to working on the quilt tops I have finished, and get them quilted. Will let you know how things go.