View Single Post
Old 04-14-2021, 05:32 PM
janiebakes

I am part of a group that makes quilts for Ronald McDonald house. Our Ronald McDonald house serves patients/families at the Cleveland Clinc in downtown Cleveland. We donate year round and also serve lunch one day during December so we get to see at least a few children pick their quilts. We do try to have many quilts that appeal to boys but it was a little girl that took the one wiht baseball fabric.One lady picked for the infant she brought to the Clinic from Minnesota. This was her third adopted spina bifida baby and she just wanted something warm. I loved seeing a little girl pick out a cat themed quilt I had made. One lady from Egypt asked if we had larger quilts to put on her bed in her room because "your winters are so challenging". The one that I will never forget is the young lady who was supposed to be home in Maine by Thanksgiving. Still there in mid December, she picked out a Christmas themed quilt, just a panel with several plain borders. She finally made it home in the Spring. Every year after, that quilt is the first thing she gets out when Christmas decorations go up in her home. She was back for a check up and told us that story. I like that Ronald McDonald house distributes our quilts to places that need them if they don't have a real need at that moment. They asked if they could send some of our quilts to New Orleans after Katrina so people in shelters could pad the cots. floors and bleachers they were sleeping on. I feel that most of the time the design does not make that much difference. As has been said though, it is important not to skimp on time spent or the quality of materials. There will be someone for every quilt.