View Single Post
Old 04-15-2021, 05:49 PM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I have been taking apart a donated top. It was much too large for what we need so why not make a single and a throw? Good idea, until I tried to put some of the pieces back together. I swear that two different people worked on this top. One person measured the sashing and proceeded to apply it to piano key sections that were significantly longer--lots of bowing and ballooning. The other just slapped the sashing on and then cut--14 1/2 inch blocks sashed on 2 sides but the sashing ranged in lenght from 14 1/2 inches to 14 7/8 inches. Yes, the blocks were stretched out of shape. Had to dampen and gently manipulate them back to their proper size. Argh!!

This will be a pretty top--when it is put back together properly. I do sometimes wonder if it is worth the effort.
Perhaps that is why it is/was a "donated top"?

I have learned that - generally - I prefer to do all the sewing and cutting myself. If it turns out "not as hoped for/expected" - it is because of me -

I did a small project this winter - I know I did as much unsewing than sewing. If I was going to do it again, I could have done it better and in about 1/3 of the time I spent on the project. The lady seems happy with it - and it looks nice from the top!