Old 04-17-2021, 04:14 AM
platyhiker

Default Having fun with Angela Walters' Flora & Foliage Quilting Along

I've been meaning to get serious about learning FMQ for way too long, and Angela Walters starting up a Quilting Along gave me a nudge to get rolling. I've been having fun with her wood grain design. It strikes me as a nice pattern to start out with, as it's got some variety (gentle curving lines, stronger curves and spirals) without throwing too much at one all at once. A big plus is that real wood is not completely regular, so when the lines aren't quite as evenly spaced as I intended, it still looks like wood and is attractive. I'm not trying to make a quilt or wall hanging out my these early practice pieces, so there's no pressure to meet a given level of quality - I'm just having fun and learning! (And making all the typical beginner mistakes - I've learned to remind myself to slow my hands down on curves and to leave double wide spacing on a spiral that I want to come back out of.)

Week 2 is also out - it covers Leaves and Ferns. I haven't started on that one yet, but it looks like it will should be fun.

Is anybody else doing this Quilting Along?