View Single Post
Old 04-17-2021, 08:38 AM
asleep

Originally Posted by Gymnast2 View Post
I have been using my using my Singer 201 and Singer 237 to sew a V138 thread in vinyl and webbing for some time now. A few simple modifications were needed to make the machines do that resonable well.

Normally you will see recommendations, that you should limit the thread size for all domestic machines to V69 (tex 70) thread. I think it is true mainly because of limited thread tension and limited punching power of the motor.
This is a video of my Singer 201k sewing tex 210 polyester thread in 6 layers of vinyl. In the last part of the video is a list of the modifications to it:

https://youtu.be/21D5S8ihspI
Hello @Gymnast2 , Thanks for those videos you posted about the singer 237 and sewing with heavy thread in heavy duty fabrics. I'm hoping you can advise on a few questions. I have one project in mind that I'm looking to do with my Singer 237. I am looking to use v92 polyester thread. The manual says it will accept a needle size up to an 18. The project I'm considering would require just over 100' of sewing and a max of going through 5 layers of vinyl awning fabric for half of that. I have considered that I may need to hand crank instead of relying on the motor to punch through all those layers.

Here are my questions:
1) Would the modifications you recommend be required for using v94 thread since this is merely 1 size up from the generally recommended? Or are there a critical few modifications that I would need to do, but maybe not all?
2) Do the modifications need to be reversed after the heavy duty project for general purpose use?

Once again. Thanks for all your information. Your post has given me hope that I will be able to do this project with my existing equipment.