View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 04:58 AM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lalla View Post
I’ve spent this morning working on something that I decided needed rather a lot of echo quilting. And, thinking of you sewingsuz, as I worked, I thought that actually echo quilting is a really good way to get comfortable with FMQ. It is fluid, it can look good in an organic kind of a way even when it’s not done ‘perfectly’, and I do think part of the learning curve is made easier if what one achieves along that curve is rewarding. If you struggle with feathers or swirls and keep on and on feeling disappointed in your achievements it is so disheartening. Echo quilting around something simple, like a big leaf, say, can get you easily familiar with the feel of FMQ and produce something interesting more or less whatever you do; if you draw a slightly wavy-edged leaf you can echo its outline exactly, and carry on with subsequent lines exactly an eighth or a quarter of an inch from the previous one. Or you can chill out a bit and exaggerate some bits, go closer to the previous line with other bits, and find, as you go along, that the curves accentuate and develop, change and evolve, and create something fluid and organic that can be really lovely. Much more reinforcing of your skills than a wobbly feather or a less than ideal swirl, or clamshells that don’t sit neatly one on the other. You’ll get relaxed with the whole notion of FMQ, and then later be able much more easily to tackle more exacting patterns. Just a thought!!
that is good advice. Angela Walters always says echo echo echo.