View Single Post
Old 04-23-2021, 12:58 PM
Iceblossom

Depending on what I am doing, I may be collecting fabric for years/months. I try to prewash my fabric as I get it, that when it is ready when I want to use it. However, since I really don't like to iron, I put a lot of that off so always seem to end up with needed prewashes.

For me it is "kitted" when the pattern is selected and all fabric is gathered and washed, and any special notions or tools are bought. Everything is placed together, sometimes in a bag, but it is official when it is in a project box. Even when I'm working at home and not taking the project out of the house, it travels a lot inside and I keep everything in the box as much as possible. So I'm typically am pinning while watching tv in the bedroom with the hubby, cutting at the dining room table, etc.

It is "in process" once cuts are made into the fabric. I prefer to do all one stage of a process at a time, so ideally I cut however many strips or pieces I need and only those go back into the box. Sometimes though it does make more sense to do sub-units or other breakdowns instead of everything at once! The remaining fabric is usually kept together until the top is completed, just in case I need to go back. If I have enough room in the box, I keep it in there in a bag at the bottom, otherwise it just stays out until I'm done.

One really positive thing I can say about Bonnie Hunter projects is that I improve my organizational skills immensely each time! I now have all sorts of clamps (big and small) and baggies and all sorts of ways to keep things neat and organized even through weeks of a project.

It's dated 2019 -- but here's a thread where I showed some of my boxes going together. Modern Cat still remains where it was, the Bonnie Hunter Frolic top was completed but has not yet been quilted down.
Project Boxes