Old 05-02-2021, 08:01 AM
lizzie3

A couple things to respond:

-I looked up the stitch regulator and I'm not super concerned with having one, it seems like a dream feature.

-My machine doesn't have a blanket stitch either but I would like that stitch to applique in a future machine. If I couldn't have a satin stitch I'm sure I'd be happy with a blanket stitch!

-I looked up IDT and it sounds like it'd be great! I will look for it, but not a deal breaker.

-I agree that my needs will change over time. But I am saving for big things (IVF) and this machine will have to meet my current and anticipated future needs for 10 years+. I also want to get it soon because once I get into fertility costs and hopefully pregnancy than I will not be buying a new machine.

-I'm not interested in embroidery. Like at all. But I'd like the letters to make quotes.

I was surprised that the dealer had recommended those machines as my emerald has apx 5.5" of throat space so an extra 2.5" doesn't seem like it'd make much of a difference. It sounds like most people are saying bigger throat space should be key and it sounds like I could still piece on my current DSM and find a machine that meets my other needs? If I found the perfect machine I would up my budget (MAX $5000) but would likely wait until the end of the year as I prefer to save first and then purchase. It's hard to easily test machines as I live in Ontario and we are in constant lockdown, or so it feels. Ontario hasn't had a quilt show since the pandemic and they won't for at least another year so I can't purchase anything there. But I'll plan to try to test things out. I also noticed a bernina seller close by.

I think for the free motion quilting I'm NOT interested in doing those fancy, time consuming designs all over the quilts. I think I'd like to do large meandering and for the practical reasons of some quilts. ie my current dresden quilt has 12" blocks and if I SITD it leaves large blocks unquilted. If I could FM than I could add a little design around the flowers. I have sent two of my quilts out and honestly the cost hurt my soul, I am very frugal with my money!

I will look at two machines, but I live in a small apartment and space is tight so may not be an option.

Thanks for all the feedback, I feel like I can look for things a little bit better!