Old 05-02-2021, 10:08 AM
sewingpup

umm...both of my machines (viking topaz 40 and Bernina 590) have a couple of different blanket stitches and you can vary the size of them and also mirror them. I just did the blanket stitch on the bernina. Also both of my machines "hover" meaning they will stop with the needle in the down position and at the same time just lift the pressure foot automatically enough so you can turn your work a bit to go around curves and points. I love that feature for applique. Both have about 8.5 iches to the right of the needle which is not a huge space...but big enough to do some free motion. I actually like a smaller machine for piecing as it is lighter and usually less expensive to buy. Getting a smaller machine with the features you want and the second one for free motion seems like a good way to go. All you need to free motion is a straight stitch machine with a larger throat. You should be able to get a decent one brand new for about $1000 and may even be able to find a used one. Oh, I would recommend getting a cabinet that you can set the machine down in....It makes free motion or any quilting so much easier than trying to do it with the little "surrounds" you can get for some machines. Have fun deciding. It can be overwhelming...there are so many options out there. Oh, and I would recommend looking at the dealers you have in the area. Machines these days have so many features, they really need some tech people to support them.