View Single Post
Old 05-04-2021, 09:24 AM
Chasing Hawk

Default Combining hobbies with husband

My husband wants to get into knifemaking. We have been setting up a room in the back of the shop for this purpose. Everything got put on hold when he broke his arm.
My part in this endeavor is leatherwork, sheath making specifically. I have been looking into a leather sewing machine. My heavy duty Janome can do light leatherwork so making flat sheath isn't a problem.
But, here is a dilemma I have stumbled onto. I do a lot of repairs on my husband and sons odd shaped items. Such as knee pads for work, gloves, tool bags. A lot of these things can't fit under the needle of my Janome. So I have been looking into a machine something like this...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=pd_gw_unk

But not as expensive, finding one on CL in our area is like finding a hen with teeth.......lol
I see a lot of these type of machines on Amazon for less than 200 bucks but the reviews are less than 30 and are usually bad ones. I do realize that a lot of reviews are from people who don't know how these machines work or they thought that they could magically get something spectacular made the first try. I have ben around a few heavy duty sewing machines (my first love Phaff 545) to know what such a machine is capable of. But I haven't had any experience with a machine with such a small sewing bed and foot plate.

As an added idea we were thinking of mounting in such a way I can use it with a treadle stand and use my feet to control the machine. Or possibly attaching a motor to it and use a foot pedal.

So if any of the great people here has any experience with this type of machine and has any ideas on a good brand. Add your thoughts to this thread.