View Single Post
Old 05-05-2021, 01:14 PM
AngelaS

Default Sharon Holland Rambler pattern rant

I'm making a wedding gift for a friend and when I saw the Sharon Holland Rambler patter on Instagram, I knew it would be perfect. I picked out six fabrics and downloaded the pattern. I didn't read the whole pattern and I quickly realized I should have. Sigh.

It's designed to be sewn with the specific fabrics as show. Because of saying "fabric A, B, or C" it says "paisley, tan tossed floral and geometric prints". What? Okay, I got around that by labelling the picture on the front with HER names for each fabric and then made a post-it note for myself of MY fabrics to keep everything straight.

Then I started cutting. I've been doing this for decades, but I'm easily annoyed apparently and don't like cutting pieces that are 10 3/8 and 4 1/8 inches. Ugh. But still, I persevered until I had everything cut.

But wait, there's a paper template to cut the blunt flying geese. I used tape on my plastic ruler that was laying on top of the paper template to mark it off so I didn't have to use the paper. I'm a genius! Then I sewed, ironed and trimmed and thought 'that's dumb, that the template is an odd size."

And then..... I noticed the one inch square drawing for scale. And after spending TWO hours to this point... my scale was off. My printer is set to 100% but I hadn't double checked the scale of the template before trimming and yep, like a newbie, I wasted two hours!

To top it off.... I didn't have enough of one fabric to cut more. Sigh. So after having spent $200 on gorgeous fabrics for this quilt, I had to go to the LQS and spend another $20.

It's a darn good thing I love the girl I'm making this for because I'm frustrated! And I have 25 days left to get it finished :P

Thanks for listening to me rant. My next quilt will be of my own design. I am not a fan of patterns, especially if they're written by a fabric designer, apparently....