View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 04:58 AM
Iceblossom

When I first was diagnosed with my already existing vision diagnosis, I did a major purge of my stash. I started with the idea that I could get rid of all non-quilting fabric in my stash. So that was an easy start -- is it cotton? If no, out it goes.

I ended up giving the "usable" yardage, things like wool and such to a textile student at the local arts college who assured me everything was wanted by someone. The bits and pieces of fancy stuff went to a gal who does Cosplay and costuming. Craft stuff went to a local elementary school art teacher (her yearly budget for supplies is just shameful, the arts need funding). Found all of them by either responding to or running ads on Craig's List.

I did inventory and sell my vintage fabric that I always meant to sell on eBay. But I sold to a local buyer who gave me back slightly more than I paid and was happy to take the risk and time to sell the rest. We both know she got a good deal She does actually sell on line and does shows and such. I'm glad I got that fabric out of my stash and back into the world.

Mostly I found groups on Craig's List -- usually under the wanted section. I do periodically run a search on "fabric". A church group who supported many different groups got a lot, like 3 bags worth including thrift store tops and orphan blocks. They specifically said in their ad that they were willing to take UFOs and quilter scraps. Girl Scouts got a bag. 4-H got a bag. A group that does/did a yearly sale to support a summer home ec including sewing day camp got boxes of books and more stuff.

I'm looking at what I have left and am starting to think maybe it's about time to start another purge cycle. What I have left though, well it's survived as being wanted and many previous sortings. I'm trying to adjust my thinking that loved and wanted aren't enough and I'm adding "do I see myself actually using that in 5 years". But then I feel the pressure of progressive vision loss.

I can say that while I still remember quite a lot of what I gave away and it does happen that as soon as you send something out, you find a "perfect" use for it. But that's because you are thinking of it and you find there are other fabrics out there that will also work. I really only regret giving away one piece. I knew I was pushing myself with that one anyway and I do miss it. But the reality is, it's been over 5 years and I probably still wouldn't have used it. Not a bad track record for as much as I've handed out.