View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 04:21 PM
Heathermom2opmc

Default Singer Sonata--help fixing

Hello, I am new to this section of the quiltingboard forums. I have an early 1980's Sonata by Singer machine. This was my very first sewing machine when I was quite young. I used it for years without knowing that I needed to oil it etc. Like I said I was very young (elementary school young). About 10 years ago it began bird nesting and skipping quite a bit. Knowing much more about sewing, I tried new needles, cleaned it out, different threads etc.but it still wouldn't sew neatly. I was in midst of moving my family of 5 and many animals to another state when this began happening, so I boxed it up and brought it along. For many reasons I just cannot get rid of it. I have tried over the years to fix it. I even bought another one--same model off of ebay to try to see if I could figure it out. There used to be 1 machine repair shop about 2 hours from where we now live, and I did call them. I was told that it would cost more for them to look at it then it was worth, so just get a new machine. Well I just cannot do that. I have the feeling a spring or something may have broken, but I really don't know. Does anyone know anything about the Sonata, or of a place that I could send this to....it would need to be shipped....and could fix it? Once the second Sonata began with similar issues, I bought a vintage Singer 99 machine. It is a 1958 and I love it----but I still would like to try to get my very first machine working again. I do miss the zigzag stitch when I need to reinforce edges or do butt seems of batting etc. I also do light upholstery work and the Sonata was always up for the task, but not anymore. Any advice would be great. Thanks.