View Single Post
Old 05-11-2021, 08:25 PM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by Kelly A View Post
Hi Janey - yes, it is 3-in-1 oil. It's what my mom always used to oil her sewing machines and it's what I had on hand. It's been doing a wonderful job at removing old oil from the various metal parts/screws that I can't use alcohol on. Do you just mean it is not recommended for cleaning the painted & shellaced areas? or should I not use it on even the metal parts? Thanks!

I know, I remember having it around as a kid. It probably was used on my mom's sewing machine and maybe even my grandmother's at some point. My brother & I refurbished our grandmother's for my sister. I really didn't have any problem getting it cleaned up with Tri-flow and sewing machine oil. Those that have more experience than I do, say that it gums up the machine. I would not use Tri-flow for the japanning and decals, but would use regular sewing machine oil.

I've used alcohol swabs on some parts as they don't drip. I used to have some really nice strong ones, but even the thinner ones will work for cleaning some of the parts under the machine or in the nose that I didn't want to remove.

One generally doesn't see machines from the angle of your picture. I was able to click on the picture and enlarge it. I even looked at one of my treadles to make sure that what I was seeing above the dress guard was indeed the band wheel.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.