Old 05-16-2021, 08:48 AM
StudioC

Originally Posted by gardengirl1331 View Post
I too wash EVERYTHING I buy from the store before using, I shudder to think of people opening up sheets and just putting them on the bed. Or underwear!

I used to prewash ALL fabric as soon as it got into the house. Comes from sewing clothing. But since my health hasn't been so good I've been buying precuts more and more and you can't really prewash them. I don't want the backs or other larger pieces to shrink differently than the precuts, so I now skip washing them too. I wash things together if they'll be in the same quilt, but won't wash different colors together if they won't be sewn together. I do still wash all fabrics that will be made into things like t-shirts or pjs due to shrinkage. And when I make things like bed sheets out of wide fabric I will wash that on hot since I normally wash in warm, just to make sure most of the shrinking happens before I hem everything. Same with curtains. I do like that old fashion quilt look though, if I preferred the flatter neater look I would probably prewash when I could.
I prewash precuts to! easy peasy with a salad spinner from the thrift store