Old 05-24-2021, 05:37 PM
Christyg

Default Japanese badged sewing machine skipping stitches

[QUOTE=OurWorkbench;8485286]I was off on one of my bunny trails and thought of you when I happened across this web page - https://vintagesewingmachinesblog.wo...heir-remedies/
Joe gave you a lot of good info. I'm a little more cautious (sometimes, LOL) and try other things first.
Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated wit

Thank you for all the good links. I studied them and was helped a lot. In the end I got brave and took apart the tension unit and found that it was put together incorrectly. I cleaned and put it back together correctly and it helped a lot with the tension issues but it was still skipping stitches. At that point I decided to take Joe's advise and check the timing. After watching several YouTube videos and rereading Joe's comments I could see that timing was off. On the underside of the machine I loosened adjustment screws in three places. I was then able to adjust the distance between the needle and the hook, which was too wide. I also then adjusted the height ratio between the needle in the lowest position and the hook. It took adjusting a couple of times but it worked and the machine no longer skips stitches.
I uploaded a pic of the stitching before and after. The before are the rows on the left and the three rows on the right are the after.
Thanks everyone for your time and help. I will move on to the bobbin winder issues but that is for another day!
Attached Thumbnails 20210524_181241.jpg   20210524_181608.jpg  

Last edited by Christyg; 05-24-2021 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Switched left and right