View Single Post
Old 05-26-2021, 10:57 AM
EmiliasNana

Default Heavy quilted wall hanging

First let me say, this was a real challenge for me. I'm definitely not artistic and really have a hard time deciding with what to put where when quilting. This was a Block of the Week from Sentimental Stitches last year called 3030. I knew with all the white background that I wanted to quilt it as a wall quilt for our guest room so used two layers of batting and declined to scallop the border edges. I really struggled with the designs and started with stitching in the ditch on all the major seams with a walking foot on my DMS. Using my Tiara I began outlining and echoing the center medallion and only marked the spines of the feathers to fill in the space. Next were the triangle strips that bordered it and I used part of a ponsettia stencil that I had. I used Crayola Ultra-CIean Washable Markers throughout. I really didn't want to lose the diagonal lines of Irish Chains? so tried to make them stand out with echoing and feathers and treated them all the same. From there I just "winged" it with spacing out different fillers throughout the quilt with echoes around the appliques. If I hadn't put a time goal to finish, I would have found it more enjoyable, but company was coming and I wanted it done and on the wall before their arrival. It still took me weeks. They arrive this Friday! I'm not sure I will ever quilt this heavily again but it definitely gave me more confidence in my FMQing skills, though I still agonize over every little wobble and wonder if I should take it out or keep going, ugh.
resized-guest-room-quilt.jpg resized-guest-room-closeup2.jpg resized-guest-room-closeup.jpg resized-guest-room2.jpg