Old 05-29-2021, 02:28 PM
esther.makes

Hello, I'm a VSM newbie here! I have a few questions before embarking on my first sewing machine refinishing. Pictures in a link below. Appreciate any comments/feedback/help you're willing to offer. Thanks, everyone!

I recently acquired a Singer 66 in a treadle cabinet, and hope to restore and sew with it. I'm so glad I stumbled upon Glenn's posts about how to clean and refinish the sewing machine head because I accidentally took some gold off the decals and have been freaking out ever since. Here are some pictures of my new baby:
https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums20452.html (Hope the link works, haven't figured out how to upload photos in a post yet...)

I've read and re-read the posts to make sure I've got all the details. I'm collecting supplies right now, and will practice in an inconspicuous part of the machine before doing the whole thing. I have a few more questions, hope they're not too silly to ask.

1. There are a few chips along the edge of the bed that I hope to touch up. Do you think it would be odd to just touch it up with some black paint (the anilene dye alcohol-soluable powder mixture)? Or should I consider filling in the bumpy edge with an auto body filler putty, then paint and finish?

2. Will the step to wipe over the decals with alcohol + linseed oil remove the gold in the decals as it seems alcohol tends to remove the gold layer? Is there an alternative way to wipe over it prior to sealing with shellac?

3. The decals are in relatively good condition, but I would like to touch up the portions where it turned silver due to my mistake. I saw Testor's gold paint pen being recommended. After some googling, I have found one that is enamel-based, and was wondering if it's okay to have enamel being sandwiched between the japanning and shellac layers?