Old 03-05-2010, 08:03 AM
I go To The Sea To Breathe

Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by Rachel
I'm having the same issue. I made a t-shirt quilt for my cousin from her deceased husbands t-shirts. I HATE it. All the way thru the process, I haven't been happy with it, but I sure dont' wanna drop it in the mail to her. I think its just because we spent so much time on them???
In my case (probably not the same for you), I'm assuming it'll be packed away in a box and never thought about, let alone seen again.
I know how you feel knowing that the work you did will not be seen and appreciated. I think one reason some people put them away is that they want it to stay as nice as it is -- they don't want it to get messed up. My mom puts things away like that. One of her friends made a lap quilt for her and she has put it away. Every now and then I'll pull it out to throw over a new baby or a sleeping child. She brags about the pretty quilt her friend made for her and all the hours she must have spent on it. And then she says that it's a shame to mess it up. I think it's a gesture of value and honor. So give that quilt to the one that it is intended and know that it will be treasured -- whether it is away in a closet or draped somewhere in a place of honor.
That's probably true to some it is showing respect by putting it away. I hadn't thought of it that way.