Thread: Ironing Board
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 05:00 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

I bought one of those Big Boards - already made - maybe 10-15 years ago - and I really like it! DH could probably have made one for less $, but I wanted it "then". It is made of high quality plywood.

Anyway, I also ordered a "pad" and "covering" for it at the time. The pad was only a thin layer - maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick of what appeared to be a "felted" type of polyester batting - cut rather skimpily - barely covered the top of the board, and the covering appeared to be a cotton twill that had a drawstring to hold it on. Also cut skimpily, but it is/was removable and could be washed.

i had to put it back on the board damp when I washed it in order to stretch it to cover the board.

I eventually replaced the "padding" with two layers of heavy/thick "interfacing" - like used for giving bags body - and muslin for the top. I safety pin the ends and use elastic strips "under the middle" to keep it in place.

I did not care for the idea of a cover stapled to the board, because my ironing board covers need to be washed or replaced every so often.

I have to wash it every so often because it gets yucky.

I did buy a horse blanket for a wool padding. I cut it down to be the width of the top and made a muslin "ipillow case" for it because it shed and I wanted a washable cover for it. I don't like the curved edges, but in retrospect, I could have cut them off, instead of making two fairly decent sized pads.

My ironing board is a very sturdy "oldie" and up all the time. I can remove the Big Board from it, but don't very often. For "little" things that need a pointy end, I use something smaller - I have sleeve boards, etc.

I was very surprised at what the Big Board Company sent for the "padding". It has not melted yet, and I usually iron/press with a cotton setting.

Last edited by bearisgray; 06-01-2021 at 05:03 AM.