View Single Post
Old 06-02-2021, 06:32 AM
OurWorkbench

Default June 2021 Colorado Sewing Machine Get Together - Part 3

Dianne

It sounds like Dianne has been enjoying the outdoors. She has a couple of new acquisitions to tell us about:

This month has been busy with gardening, adding many new plants in hopes of attracting more and different kinds of butterflies. However, two interesting small machines have come my way. Both are dated to the 1950s, and are cast aluminum chain stitchers.

The Betsy Ross is readily available on auction sites, and comes in hand crank and electric versions, with and without a case. Several color variations existed. Manufacture must have changed from one company to another, or the manufacturer's name was changed. Betsy Ross Manufacturing and Gibralter Manufacturing are both seen in searches. Gibralter added a large label to the back of the machine. rather ugly. The electric version I purchased needed removal of old grease from the gears, application of new grease, and several oilings over a few weeks before it would sew using its little motor, which is located under the machine. Now that it has decided to work, the machine zips along briskly after activating with the on-off button. Stitches are excellent once the perfect tension adjustment is made. A hand crank was added, which came from a Singer Model 20 and fits nicely. This sweet little machine makes me wish I could have had one of these as a child!

The Hamilton Ross seems much less common, and the paperwork with it indicates it was made by Hamilton Ross Industries, Inc. in New Jersey. The style is obviously the same as the Betsy Ross, and most likely was manufactured at the same place. The motor, located on the back of the machine, is labelled Sew-Rite. Badged versions of this machine exist, both named Sew-Rite and a less-similar version manufactured in the UK called Essex. The Sew-Rite machines have the raised design in the metal of the pillar, and appear identical except for the name. The Essex, made in the UK, lacks the raised design in the casting, and I am not aware if it is aluminum or cast iron, or even the same size. The Hamilton Ross is larger than the Betsy Ross, being about 11" wide instead of 7" or so for the Betsy Ross. Nothing in the paperwork that came with it indicates it is considered or sold as a toy. A warranty for 20 years on a toy machine?? Not likely. Another slip of paper noted a fair trade price of $49.50, fairly expensive at the time. Mine stitches nicely using its foot control, but unlike the Betsy Ross is fairly noisy.

The pair, with their cases the same design, look rather nice together. The cases are wood, with embossed heavy paper coverings. Overall, these machines seem simply constructed but quite sturdy and well made.

dianne-dscf8235.jpeg

dianne-dscf8237.jpeg

dianne-dscf8238.jpeg

dianne-dscf8239.jpeg

Dorothy

Hello,
These meetings are getting closer & closer as time flies!
I have this Elna (Tan). A couple of years ago my Daughter and I drove to the western slope to get this machine with the original break down table. The seller was the Nephew of the original owner. Unfortunately, he broke the stitch width lever.
Like all early Elna, it is a very good stitcher, but Fussy on specific order you set it up for decorative stitches - stitch length 0, stitch width 0, lever moved to the left, etc.
This machine was in constant use until I got it so there was no flat spot on the drive pulley. I keep the clutch fully out (4 or 5 complete turns) which should prevent getting the flat spot.
It is a knee lever drive of which I am not a Fan. I do understand those who Do like them. In another email is the table with machine.

Thanks So much for doing these posts!

dorothy-a_img_20210529_183917.jpg

... to be continued