View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 09:57 PM
tandc49

Default New here from FLA

Hello from FL. I fool around with old cars and a while back, I got an estimate of over $4,000 to re-do the interior of a car I had at the time. I also found an adult-ed class in "auto upholstery" for $35 for a 10 week session and decided to take a couple of sessions and see if I could do it myself. The Consew and other industrial machines were nice, but faster than what I wanted. I did OK, but really liked the mechanics of these machines. My interior came out pretty nice and once you learn something, they can't take it away from you. Fast forward to a month or so ago...I saw a couple of nice older, all metal sewing machines at a flea market and it got my interest going again. Now I was looking for a machine that would sew thick leather or heavy cordura nylon for holsters & such. I found this forum and began researching different machines here. I'm still learning a lot from this site and looking harder at the vintage Japanese made machines. I understand how they began their rise in quality after WW-2 when Edward Demming went to Japan and convinced the manufacturers over there how to produce better products than what was made elsewhere. So, I went from no machines that would fit the bill to a White 764, a Singer 401and a White 571 within 3 weeks and looking at more.

Thanks,

49T&C