View Single Post
Old 06-12-2021, 04:06 AM
Iceblossom

The Singer specialty sites are fantastic amounts of information, I don't actually follow them very much. I have a 301 that is my only Singer, another great little sturdy machine. Only slightly heavier than a Featherweight, the 301 is all metal but is the slant needle and only straight stitch. I also have a vintage Pfaff, the hubby brought his grandmother's machine with him 20 years ago -- it worked then but haven't looked at it since, I think it is a basic Wards.

For awhile in the 80s I bought a lot of the Japanese machines and fixed them up for a charity that connected refugees with sewing machines and that's when I really started liking the Morse brand. Often they had lost their bobbin casing and once a new one was provided and the machine cleaned up. they were good to go.

I recently picked up a gorgeous two-toned aqua Morse for $12 through a local auction site, it needs a new belt, the case is in terrible condition but it has a good foot. I thought I could just take that foot and put it on my Remy, but now I'm thinking I should restore the Morse. It never ends if you let it get started! I think I'm going to take both machines to my repair guy and let him make the decision -- and if he wants to restore the Morse he can have it but I'm not starting again.

I see a lot of beautiful sewing machines in my area. Craig's List people pretty much always price them too high, the average going price for "vintage" machine in my area is $40 or less at thrift stores and garage sales. Some of the newer/computerized brand name machines sell for higher. Featherweights go higher. Treadles -- vary greatly. Last year just before Covid, there was a gorgeous (electric) White machine in a stand in perfect condition. Everything was there, the accessory kit, the booklet, the decals were perfect. It had obviously stood in someone's parlor for decades first, then carried around by the descendants, and now had been in the goodwill for a month and it was tag day (the last day in the store) and it was $2.00....

It still hurts but I had to leave it there. I just don't have the room or the time to do anything but store it.