Old 06-13-2021, 03:05 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Default Fixing/Repairing/Salvaging a Quilt or Quilt Top

This is sort of in response to another recent thread - but I did not want to hijack it -

Questions I would ask myself before attempting a Repair/Redo/Replace -

What would need to be done? Why?

A smallish rip or tear or hole in fabric that is still "good" - in an item that was well-constructed to start with - and had sentimental or financial value - I would consider.

If the fabric is worn out or rotten - no. If the item has been "used to shreds" - no. Simply not worthy my effort.
If someone feels the need to keep it for sentimental reasons - frame it or something.

A lot of tops have been abandoned because of "issues" - poor construction, unattractive fabric choices, inappropriate fabric choices. If the fabric is not worth a scavenging effort - why bother? There might be a few exceptions made for sentimental reasons - an effort made by a child or parent that died, for example.

It can be challenging enough to make something nice "from scratch". I find redoing my own stuff to be challenging enough - and I use decent fabrics and my things (usually) lay flat with intersections where and how they should be.

So why try to use/salvage/remake someone else's "garbage"?

Disclaimer: I am old(er) and maybe don't have "forever" to work on things - and I do have "enough" supplies to start from scratch to make almost anything I would want to.